I have had this recipe for almost 30 years. Everyone loves it, and it is so easy. I like mine with extra bread.
- 1 1/2 Pound of ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 3/4 cup Dry Bread Crumbs (about 2 slices) ....I think I usually put more than this in it......
- 1 clove of garlic...or more to taste
- 3/4 Cup of applesauce
- Salt, pepper and any other spice you may want to add. Sometimes I put green pepper in too.
This recipe is very forgiving. The amounts do not need to be exact. The applesauce is the binder.
- I recommend saving the last of your bread in the freezer. When you want to make it, just let it air dry in the counter for the morning or overnight. Break up the bread in small pieces. Do not buy breadcrumbs...too expensive for what they are.
- Mix everything well with your hands......
- keep squeezing it together so it does not fall apart when you bake it.
- Pat it like a little football in the air and place in a meatloaf pan.
- Make it a nice firm shape. In the pan, I create a little space around the loaf with my fingers. You could just make these into big meatballs if you do not have a loaf pan. A lot of grease comes off of them, you can dump that off anytime while cooking if it becomes too much.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes...less for meatballs. This freezes well.
- (if you want to get fancy, put 2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar and 2 tablespoons of catsup mixed up on top of meatloaf)